Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Homemade Olive Oil Mayonnaise

I always wanted to learn how to make mayonnaise . My dad used to make but it seemed to me so time consuming because he used a wooden spoon to mix the egg yolks with the oil and swore that it didn't work to do it with a regular mixer. I looked online for recipes. Tried couple and failed . What most of them claimed was that it takes 5 min to prepare which made me add the oil faster and I ended up with a runny greasy emulsion , yak.  Today I almost failed again because I found a crack in my food processor and it already was leaking. But I don't give up , especially when I have few recipes which  require the use of mayonnaise.So  I continued with the electric whisk (the one you put on your mixer)
The reason I don't want to use the store bought is simple. It's full of chemicals, GMO oils  and bad fats . Even the organic one that claims it's made with Olive oil contains Canola oil , or soy. 
Some people think that mayo isn't healthy but made with the right ingredients it's quite healthy. You don't get heart disease or high cholesterol from Olive oil or eating cholesterol. You get it from grains , simple refined sugars. 
Concerning the ingredients , they are a good guide but you can adjust them to your personal taste. I don't have white wine vinegar , I only use apple cider vinegar that's why I made this mayonnaise with lime juice. And remember oil needs to be added in drips very slow. That's the trick. If it gets to thick , just add a tinny amount of lukewarm water. Remember to refrigerate the mayonnaise immediately because it's made with raw egg yolks and consume within  3 days. 

Ingredients:

3 egg yolks 
2 1/4 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil (3/4 cup of Olive oil per yolk) 
1 Tbsp. Lime juice 
1 Tsp. Ground Mustard 
Sea salt to taste 
Some lukewarm water if needed.

 Combine yolks, lime juice and mustard and mix until smooth. Start adding olive oil in small drips until oil is completely absorbed. Add sea salt. If it gets to thick add just a little bit water. That's it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment