Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Gluten - Free Granola

My friend Zhana gave me a jar with homemade granola for Christmas. It was incredibly tasty and I decided to make my own. I looked online just for the basic principals and of course I made my own mix. Most of the recipes online call for vegetable oil. I though don't use any vegetable oil because it's highly processed and very bad for you. Instead I use coconut oil :) Also many of the recipes call for agave syrup or honey , or sugar. Agave is highly processed as well. Honey is good but it has a high glycemic index, and sugar: well the only reason I keep sugar in my kitchen is, because I make my own Kombucha. So.... what do I use , would you ask :) , I use raw Coconut Nectar. It has a low glycemic index and the brand I buy is 100% organic, gluten- free, non-gmo , vegan. Here is some information about Coconut Nectar provided by the company that offers it: When the coconut tree is tapped it produces a nutrient-rich "sap" that exudes from the coconut blossoms. This sap is very low glycemic , is an abundant source of minerals, 17 amino acids, vitamin C, board spectrum B vitamins, and has a nearly neutral pH. 
Also, when you pick oats, make sure that they are certified gluten-free. Be careful with baking, I slightly overcooked mine because I had to nurse my daughter and it was a matter of 3-5 min. 

Ingredients:
3 cups gluten -free oats
1 1/4 cups raw sliced almonds 
1 cup coconut flakes
3/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
3/4 cup raw flaxseeds
1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 1/2 cups raisins 
1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil 


Mix oats with seeds. In a saucepan melt coconut oil and coconut nectar. Add to oats and seeds and mix evenly. bake in the oven for 15-20 min or until golden. Remove from oven and add raisins. mix well and let it cool off. Store in a jar or plastic bag. 



No comments:

Post a Comment