Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2014

German Potato Salad

When I went to college in Germany I was working part-time at a nursing home . I met some very nice old folks there . One day a lady and I started to talk about cooking and she shared with me her potato salad recipe. I wish I remembered her name but I don't. She was from Kiel, the capital of the state of Schleswig-Holstein.  
Some of you may say it's not authentic anymore since I slightly changed a few things but I don't think they are significant. The changes are: I don't put the egg-whites because I dislike them, but if you don't mind them you can add them to the salad. I also don't use canned Dill Pickles, I prefer fermented dill pickles and their juice which I make myself and it's rich in probiotics.  I make my mayonnaise too which slightly differs from the store-bought. I put a can of anchovies which is approx. 2 oz but you can add more. Other than that I didn't change anything and I still consider it to be an authentic German potato salad. 

Ingredients :

3 medium russet potatoes 
3 eggs
1 celery stalk
1/4 cup dill/fermented  pickles, chopped finely  
1/4 cup leeks chopped finely
1/2 onion chopped finely
2 oz flat anchovies
1 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard 
1-2 Tbsp. parsley chopped finely
Some pickle juice 
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Peel and cut potatoes in small cubes and either boil or steam. Boil eggs. When they are done, remove yolks and here you can either chop up the whites and put them in the salad or opt out. You will need the yolks later for the dressing. Cut celery and anchovies into small pieces.  In a bowl combine steamed/boiled potatoes with celery, pickles, leeks, onions and anchovies and mix well. 
In a separate bowl mash egg yolks. Add mustard and approx. 1/4 cup of  pickle juice. Mix well and pour over salad. Add mayonnaise, parsley and black pepper. Stir well. Add more pickle juice if necessary.  Refrigerate for an hour before serving.
 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment