Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Fruity Quinoa Pudding

My family does not eat desserts in general but once in while is ok. I came to this recipe on my own in search of way to make my son to eat cereal. I tried giving him oat, rice cereal but he just refused, I guess he didn't like the texture.
I personally have to be on gluten free, dairy free diet. And I am most of the time, but I have days when I indulge myself with nice bread and cheese . That's why I have all kind of gluten free flours and grains.
Being so bend on having my son eat cereal one day  I thought I can try to give him a gluten free cereal . He didn't like the texture of the grain itself but he likes apple sauce, go figure. That's how I decided to experiment with quinoa flour and apple sauce and could trick my son to eat healthy grains letting him think it's just apple sauce. I know, I know, I am snicky  but hey every mom wants the best for her baby.

Anyway, this pudding is dairy free because how I mentioned before I have to be on dairy free diet and my son isn't switched completely to dairy yet. However if you prefer a creamier texture feel free to use whole milk. For this recipe I used strawberries and blackberries since we like them most but use the kind you prefer. If the pudding is not sweet enough you can add some maple syrup or honey while the pudding is still warm.

By the way my husband liked this dessert a lot and he usually does not eat fruits. And he's the guy who thinks that if it's healthy it isn't tasty :) But over the years , actually since we've got married,
 he realized that's not necessarily true.

Ingredients
1 Cup Quinoa   flour
Use some fresh peppermint leaves to decorate.
4 cups water
4 cups apple sauce
1 cup strawberries
1 cup black berries


Stir in with a whisk quinoa flour in cold water. Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium and let it thicken while stirring constantly to prevent forming of clumps. The mixture should have the consistency of white gravy , probably slightly thicker. Let it cool down and add apple sauce and berries. Mix well and disburse in small bowls. Refrigerate before serving. Yields 4-5 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment