Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Savory Gluten Free Bread

As you know I need to be on gluten free diet (although I eat gluten every so on) which means I can't eat my so beloved bread all the time. I tried Udi's gluten free rice bread but I couldn't eat it, I had to throw it in the trash. I tried to make my own gluten free bread but ended with a brick. I was doing something wrong.
Fortunately our pastor's wife, Mona, lent me her book about gluten free baking where I learned more about the art of gluten free baking. Yes, it is an art because if you skip some of the ingredients or does not contain enough moisture you'll get a bread which can cause concussion if it falls on your head. Most important , never skip xanthan gum and the starch because they are binding ingredients. In my recipe I use arrowroot which is a starch. You can use corn starch too, whichever you prefer. Concerning the flour, I like the garbanzo and fava bean flour mix. But just garbanzo flour is fine too. 

I don't have bread machine but I use the mixer. Remember that your dough shouldn't be like the one for regular bread. It's should be more like a batter. 

I got to tell you that there are very few things I don't like about America. The chocolate and the regular bread which sooo sweet. So keep in mind that my bread is NOT sweet. Though still tastes really good. You can use it pretty much for anything. I personally love it with some butter while it's still fresh and warm. And my son Christopher , loves it too.

Before I forget, if you or your kid have nut allergy , skip the almond meal. It is not essential for the bread. Just adds more protein and flavor.

That's how the dough/batter should look like
Ingredients
1 cup garbanzo and fava bean flour
1 cup quinoa floure
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup amaranth flour
1/2 cup arrowroot
1/4 golden flax seed meal
3 Tbsp. almond meal
1 1/2 Tbsp. Xanthan  gum
3 Tbsp. dry active yeast (or 1 1/2  cake fresh active yeast)
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. sea salt
2 eggs
3 1/2 cups lukewarm water

In a sauce pan mix yeast with sugar and a little water and let it rise at a warm place. In bowl combine all flours with arrowroot, flax seed meal, xanthan gum and salt. In a different bowl mix eggs and water, add yeast, stir well. Add the liquid to the flour and with a mixer stir really well. The consistency is different than the one for regular bread since it's gluten free. It should be moist , a little bit thicker than the one for cake . Let it rise for 40 min. Pour in a bread loaf and bake for 30 min on 350F and then for another 10-15 min on 400F. To check if the bread is done, use tooth pick. stick it in the middle of the loaf and pull it out. If it's dry the bread is done. If not, let it bake for a little longer in the oven. Let it cool off. To preserve , keep it in the refrigerator since it contains eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment