Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Hot Dish Pie (Shepherds Pie/The Different Moussaka)

I am sure there will be controversy concerning this recipe. One will say this is some weird version of the Bulgarian/Greek Moussaka other will say , no, it's a shepherds pie. I'll call it Hot Dish Pie. As a matter of fact the name came from our friends Chuck and Joni. They are from Minnesota and people would call it there a Hot Dish :)))  I like that name, so we'll call it Hot Dish as well!!!
I know the name of the blog is healthy and tasty and some of you might disagree with me that this particular meal isn't really healthy. I would tell you that again what my naturepathic  doctor says: "Processed food, refined sugar, hydrogenated oils, high carbs diet , this is what makes us sick and causes obesity" and of course sedentary lifestyle.
This particular dish is made out of fresh ingredients. For example I get the eggs from a local guy who lives really close to our house. So every time I buy eggs from him I know they are fresh. How do I know that? Easily, if I am not there buy 2pm at the very late he's out of eggs.
The cheese I used is Gouda, completely vegetarian , gluten free. Same with the other dairies.  I am a big fan of the Kalona Supernatural  dairy products. The milk is not homogenized , pasteurized at a law temperature and it's all natural and they use organic milk. The same with their cottage cheese and sour cream. The Parmesan cheese I use for decoration is real as well. And the ground beef is good too, as long as the cow was grass fed and wasn't treated with hormones and antibiotics.  I gotta tell you that once upon I went through my phases where I was vegetarian than I switched to vegan and I can tell you, that during that time I had to fight constantly with colds and infections. As much as we don't want to admit it but proteins are essential for developing and strengthening our immune system. Anyway it may sound to you like a lecture but it's not, just sharing my opinion. Hope you enjoy this recipe!

Ingredients

The pie:

1 lb ground beef
2 medium sized potatoes peeled and chopped in small pieces
1 onion chopped finely
5 baby carrots sliced
5-6 oz fresh mushrooms washed and sliced
2 cups cut frozen green beans
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
2-3 Tbsp. Spike
water
Cumin, black pepper, sweet paprika powder, cumin, thyme, sea salt.
I don't have particular measurement for these spices just put some based on your personal preference.

The crust:


3 eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
9 oz Gouda, shredded
some shredded Parmesan  and chopped parsley and paprika powder for arranging  


Preheat oven to 400 F. Melt the coconut oil in a skillet add ground beef, onions and spices excluding Spike. Brown meat with onions and spices and combine with the rest  of the ingredients in casserole. Add water enough to cover. Put in the oven and let it cook until water almost evaporated but there is still a little left. In bowl combine eggs and sour cream. Mix well, add 1/2 of  Gouda and spread on top of pie. Spread the rest of the cheese and bake for another 10-15 min or until crust is golden. Remove and arrange with some fresh shredded Parmesan, chopped parsley, paprika powder. Yields 4- 6 servings.Makes good leftover.


.

.


2 comments:

  1. We enjoyed this meal and the fellowship with you. Good and tasty! Thank you so very much! We love you and appreciate our friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Chuck! I really love to cook for my friends! Glad you and Joni liked it!

    ReplyDelete