Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

Shrimp Salad

Shrimp is something I don't eat very often cause' I prefer mussels and oysters. Once in a while though I like to have some shrimp. I bought those at King Soopers. What attracted me was the "wild caught" sign. So far , so good. Well after we ate and I started to clean the kitchen I looked at the ingredients just for fun . I didn't think I'll find anything else other than shrimp. Well I was surprised to find that the shrimp I already ate contains Sodium Thripolyphosphate and Sodium Bisulfite .
Well let me tell you something ... Sodium Thripolyphosphate is a chemical which is used to deceive you about the freshness of the seafood. Also it increases the weight  of the product to which is applied. It's considered a neurotoxin. Here you can read more about this preservative.
What about Sodium Bisulfite? ! Well according to Wikipedia it's a chemical compound with additive number E222. According to New Jersey's Department of health 
Sodium Bisulfite is on the Right to Know hazardous list.
Here is what I found about this chemical :
- can affect you when inhaled
- contact can severly irritate and burn the skin and eyes
- Inhaling Sodium Bisulfate . Sodium Bisulfate can affect you when inhaled.
- Contact can severly irritate and burn the skin and eyes
- It can irritate the nose, throat and lungs
-  it may cause a skin and an asthma-like allergy
- Sodium Bisulfite is CORROSIVE when in a liquid solution.

All this is in our food, the one that's supposed to be wild caught and free of chemicals. Needless to say that I was angry.

Next time I will read the label . Live and learn, they say.

I made this salad with garlic greens. I know they are not always available but you can check some Asian stores. They tend to carry this product. If you can't find garlic greens , you can skip it or substitute with some leeks. Be careful with salt because olives and capers are already quite salty and you don't want to over-salt the entire salad. You always can add more salt if not enough but you can't remove it.
I hope you all enjoy this salad as much my daughter and I did!   

Here is what you need

Ingredients:
1 pack of large shrimp
5-6 Green onions
2-3 Garlic greens
1/4 cup chopped green olives
2 Tbsp. capers
2-3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
1/4 Extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. coarse ground Dijon mustard 
The juice of a lemon
Salt and pepper (optional)



Cook shrimp according to instruction.  After done place in a bowl . Chop onions, garlic greens and cilantro. Add to shrimp. I another small bowl mix olive oil, mustard and lemon juice. Add chopped olive. Chop capers and add to dressing. Pour dressing over shrimps and greens add salt and pepper if desired. Mix well and serve.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment