Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Zucchini Auflauf

Today, I will share my great aunt's recipe which over the years was modified many, many times. I love to experiment. That's for sure!
This dish is not vegan because it contains dairy and eggs. As you all know I only use organic products. The eggs I buy are local and free range. The cheese is made out of raw milk as well . I just love Sierra Nevada Monterrey Jack cheese. It's incredibly creamy. Buying local and organic helps a farmer , it does not support the big corporations. Well, unless you buy the big corporation's organic line ! My husband and I are working toward to get self sufficient as much as possible. This is is not very easy in Colorado because the growing season is so short. Our next project will be building a chicken coop and raise chickens for both: eggs and meat.
Anyway , I tend to drift away from the main topic :)

How I said above I use  Sierra Nevada Monterrey Jack Cheese which is not very salty . The recipe calls for 1 Tsp. sea salt however if the cheese you use is salty , use sea salt sparingly .
I cut the jalapeno peppers lengthwise and then I chop them to avoid seeds and that white part which is hot. I do it that way just because of the kids. They like spicy food but not too spicy . I personally prefer them sliced with everything. So feel free to do it according to your own preference.  This dish tastes best when chilled.

Oh, and if you wonder about the the word "Auflauf", it's German and it means casserole :))) .

Ingredients:

2 medium zucchinis
3 large jalapeno peppers sliced or chopped
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
3 eggs
3-4 Tbsp. sour cream
3-4 Garlic cloves chopped
1 Tsp. sea salt
1 Tsp. ground coriander
 black pepper to taste
some cilantro or parsley to garnish at the end.

Wash and shred zucchinis. Put in a 8.6 x 8.6  casserole. Add jalapenos , cheese, garlic, coriander, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl beat eggs and sour cream . Add to the other ingredients and mix well. Bake on 375F until done. approx. 30-40 min. Top with cilantro or parsley at the end.
Yields 4 servings .


No comments:

Post a Comment